I’ve been floundering a bit lately in the motivation department. I’ll do well for a few days, and then I’ll fall off the proverbial wagon. Of course, all of this results in not really making any significant progress with my overall weight loss efforts. I’d been trying to come up with ways to get my motivation going again, but hadn’t really come up with a real plan of action. That all changed over the past few hours. I have a plan!
Next, I read a post yesterday by my pal Carla talking about B.R.A.Z.E.N. goal setting. That rekindled my desire to come up with a definite plan of action for my own Goal Digger challenge, so I started jotting down some firm ideas in the Notes app on my iPhone.
The final straw in getting things committed to paper came tonight when reading the Goal Digger challenge posted by my pal Dacia. Once I saw her post, I printed out the chart that I had downloaded over the weekend, finalized my goals, and committed it to paper. To help hold myself accounts, I took a photo of the finished sheet immediately and posted it to Instagram because, you know, once it’s on the interwebs you have to do it, right?!
Even though I posted that same photo above, I’m going to write out my goals here as well. This will give me the ability to spell things out a bit more, too.
- Track – That means good, bad, or ugly, what goes in my mouth gets put into my Weight Watchers tracker in eTools.
- Water – Drink at least 48 oz of water and at least 80 oz of total fluids per day.
- Move – I’ve gotten really lazy with my activity lately, so I need to ramp things back up again. My steps goal for week 1 will be an average of 5000 steps per day and I’ll increase that goal by 500 steps per day each subsequent week. So, by the end of week four, I should be consistently walking at least 6500-7000 steps per day. I’ll be tracking my steps on my new Misfit Shine fitness tracker.
- Pack a Lunch – I need to get back into the habit of packing my lunch again during the week. By doing that, I have much more control over what I’m eating.
- Yoga – I really want to get back into the habit of doing yoga regularly again, too. Since I’ll be working on so many things during this challenge, my goal is to get in at least one 30 minute practice each week.
- Weights – I know how important strength training is for me. It helps my joints and gets my very slow metabolism burning more. With that in mind, my goal is to get in at least two strength training sessions per week.
- Weigh In – I’ve developed a bad habit of using the “no weigh in” pass far too often at Weight Watchers lately. I’ve still been attending my meeting faithfully each week, but sometimes I’ll go two or three weeks between actual weigh ins. During this challenge, I will weigh in EVERY week, regardless of what I think the scale might say.
- Eating Out – This isn’t nearly as much as of a struggle as it used to be, but it’s started creeping back in a bit more. During this challenge, I plan to limit myself to eating out no more than two meals per week. That means I’ll be preparing just over 90% of my meals at home.
- Walk a 5k – This is something I’ve already been doing on a monthly basis anyway, so this goal is mostly to just keep that streak alive and going.
- New Recipe – Since I’ll be preparing so many of my meals at home, this is obviously a great opportunity to try at least one new recipe. Trying new things helps keep my eating from getting into a rut of just eating the same stuff all the time.
If you noticed, there isn’t anything filled in yet in the Reward section on my challenge sheet. It’s not that I don’t plan to reward myself if I meet my goals. It’s just that I haven’t decided on what that reward will be yet. I’ll definitely give it more thought over the 30 days of the challenge and will share what my reward will be when I make the final decision.
Since I don’t really know yet what I what to have as a reward, feel free to throw out some ideas! Just leave your ideas in the comments.
Until next time …