Dear Me – A Letter to Myself

Letter to Myself

Earlier this week over at The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans, we were given some homework.  The task was to take a mental leap forward in time to January 2014 and visualize ourselves at that time.  Once that was firmly in place, we were to write a letter from our 2014 self to our current self about all the things we accomplished in 2013.

Now, we’ve done this letter to myself task in the past as part of our New Year challenges over at the Sisterhood.  I took part the first year I joined the site, but haven’t since.  I remember just how much it helped motivate me the year I did it, so I’m not sure why I never did it again.  Given my current renewal of enthusiasm and motivation for my weight loss journey, I’ve decided to take part again this year.  I can’t wait to come back to this post next January to see how well I did visualizing all the things I’ll accomplish in 2013!

So, without further adieu, here’s my letter to myself …

Dear 2013 Me,

Wow, can you believe another year has passed?  Even more, can you actually believe you are standing on the precipice of turning 50?  How is that even possible, right?!!  Thankfully, with all of the changes you’ve made over the past year, you don’t feel or look like a woman just six weeks shy of the big 5-Oh.

Looking back over the past year, it’s nothing short of amazing what you’ve accomplished!  I guess Weight Watchers was really on to something with that whole Expect Amazing ad campaign when they launched Weight Watchers 360!

Let’s take a quick walk down memory lane at all you’ve done in the past year:

• You lost over 50 pounds.
  • You finished four 5k races.
  • You finished your first mud run.
  • You logged over 500 miles on your Fitbit.
  • Your dress size no longer begins with a 2.
  • You had an amazing time at FitBloggin’13 in Portland.
  • You finished 10 stitching projects.
  • You were promoted to a Level 2 Manager at work.
  • Last, and certainly far from least, you are finally a COLLEGE GRADUATE!!

What?  Seeing all of those accomplishments documented in a bullet list doesn’t impress you enough?  Well, I just went and checked out our reflection in the full-length mirror in our bedroom.  Trust me when I tell you, you are looking pretty amazing now compared to how you looked at Christmas 2012.

Mel - Christmas 2012

I’ll leave you with one final thought.  When you find yourself feeling weak or just wanting to throw in the towel, don’t!  Stay focused and work hard because, I promise you, the way you look and feel now will make it totally worth it!!

Love,
2014 Me

Until next time …

Melissa Script Sig

Image of woman writing courtesy of anankkml / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Print Friendly

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Brooke:Not On A Diet 10 January, 2013 at 11:02 pm Reply

Love it! 2013 is your year and it will be amazing! I can’t wait to see all you accomplish!!

PS: I’m gonna be at Fitbloggin’ so of course you’ll have a great time! )
    Brooke:Not On A Diet recently posted..Introducing: What I Ate Wednesday!My Profile

• TheDailyMel 11 January, 2013 at 1:40 pm Reply

Thanks, Brooke! You are such an awesome inspiration to remind me that this is totally possible. You’re living it every day!

2. Lisa Marie 11 January, 2013 at 5:54 am Reply

I love that picture of you with your Christmas tree. You look so happy! And you are a beautiful woman. I love your blog. So glad I found it! I love your letter to yourself. I admire your courage to share your feelings and thoughts with the world. You are an inspiration!

• TheDailyMel 11 January, 2013 at 1:40 pm Reply

Wow, thanks for your very kind words, Lisa Marie! I’m honored and glad you found me, too! )

3. Dacia 11 January, 2013 at 11:26 am Reply

I love this letter! Not only do I know that you will accomplish all of this in 2013 I am super excited to follow along throughout the year! And I will make sure that you have an amazing time at Fitbloggin’ 13 even if I have to stand by your side and force the fun on you the whole time. Lol!
    Dacia recently posted..Some ThoughtsMy Profile

• TheDailyMel 11 January, 2013 at 1:43 pm Reply

Thanks, Dacia! As I said to Brooke in my reply to her, you are another amazing inspiration for me. You ladies are daily reminders that it IS possible to lose a lot of weight and get healthy. I can’t wait for both of you to see a lot less of me in Portland!! Only 166 days, but who’s counting?! ) xoxo

4. Carol B 11 January, 2013 at 12:43 pm Reply

One word, AMAZING!!!

Quick question, I recently purchased a fitbit to track my steps, do you convert that over to activity points or do you strictly count exercise as activity points?

• TheDailyMel 11 January, 2013 at 1:51 pm Reply

Hi Carol! I’m such a gadget geek that I actually wear both my Fitbit and the Weight Watchers ActiveLink. Since I have the ActiveLink as well, I don’t count any of my steps from the Fitbit any longer. Prior to getting AL, I did count my steps toward my activity.

My Activity Tracker is now managed by AL, so I can’t see the pre-AL format any longer, so I’m working from memory here on how to do it. When you go into the Activity Tracker in eTools, there is a tab near the bottom that says Add Steps. When you click on it, it will give you the option to enter your total steps for the day from your Fitbit. There should also be a set of radio buttons next to that. Choose the one that says All Day mode or something like that. Doing that will ensure that it doesn’t over-estimate your APs. If you select the Active mode, it will assume the steps you took were completed in a much more compressed period of time, so it will dramatically increase the APs for them.

Hope that helps!!

5. jules 11 January, 2013 at 3:24 pm Reply

I did this several years ago but did a detailed 5yrs in the future. Amazingly it described the house I currently live in and talked about being married living in that house. Time to do a new one. Thanks for the reminder

• TheDailyMel 11 January, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply

Wow, that’s awesome, Jules! Perhaps I should’ve written about the awesome person I’ll start dating this year. lol

6. AnnG 11 January, 2013 at 7:48 pm Reply

Personally I think 2013 is gonna be a great year for both of us and its obvious that your 2014 self agrees!

7. Christa 13 January, 2013 at 4:26 pm Reply

This is an awesome idea! Your an inspiration! My husband and I just started once again on Weight Watchers and I am so happy I found your site!

8. Amy 15 March, 2013 at 10:32 am Reply

Hi there, you dont know me but i stumbled to your blog from sparkle skirts. I cannot tell you how awesome your blog is (in general) or how great this letter to your future self is. keep up your awesome work.
    Amy
    Amy recently posted..Where it all started…My Profile