Hey gang! I know it’s been three weeks since my last post, but I just haven’t really felt much like posting. Despite all my great efforts during the month of July, everything went out the window in August. I let some emotions from my past creep up and get the better of me which pretty much resulted in eating my way through the entire month. All I can do is dust myself off, learn from it, and get back in the proverbial saddle.
Even though my eating was off the rails during August, there are a few areas where I still kicked ass. Yes, that’s right, I’m focusing on the positives rather than wallowing in the negatives (thanks for the advice, Tracy!). Here’s what went well:
- I followed through on my quest to give up soda. As of today, I’m now 65 days soda-free. Go me!!
- I walked … a lot. It may not have been fast, but I did it and it paid off. I finished the month 19% above my goal on my ActiveLink.
- What did all that walking get me? I completed three virtual races. I finished the Bazinga Half Marathon, the Unleash Your Inner Wonder Woman 5k, and the Walk MS 5k (link no longer available).
While I didn’t do everything as well I would’ve liked, at least the month wasn’t a total wash! So, the question now is where do I go from here?
To help get myself back on track, I’ve joined the free Back to Basics challenge that my pal Brooke running. While the challenge group is primarily made up of Weight Watchers members, anyone is welcome to join because the basics Brooke will be discussing will work with any weight loss plan. The things we’ll be working on are tracking, getting in our good health guidelines (fruits & veggies, healthy oils, water, etc.), exercising, and cleaning up some spaces in our life to make this journey more easy!
The challenge actually began on September 1. Since I was out of town for the holiday weekend, I got a bit of a late start so yesterday was my Day 1 for the challenge. As part of the challenge kick-off, Brooke encouraged everyone to set some goals they would like to work toward this month. After giving it some thought, I’ve decided that I’m not going to focus on losing a certain number on the scale. Instead, I really just want to focus on the basics of a healthy lifestyle. I know that if I focus on that, the weight loss will naturally come. With that in mind, here’s what I’ve come up with for my Back to Basics goals:
- Track all of my food (good, bad, or ugly) for the duration of the challenge (29 days for me).
- STAY OFF MY HOME SCALE! Yes, that’s right, I’ll be banishing my scale for the month of September. I will only be weighing in at my Sunday Weight Watchers meeting for the rest of the month. I’m really hoping if I can go a month without weighing in every day at home that I can finally break this bad habit once and for all. I figure if I can break my soda habit, I can break the scale habit, too!
- Stick with my walking. My goal is to finish four more virtual races this month. I plan to accomplish this by doing a 5k every Saturday during September.
The challenge topic for this week is Improving Spaces. I’ll write more about that in the next day or so.
Until then …