You may remember that a few weeks ago I wrote a lengthy post all about my newly found love of virtual racing. Not only do I love the race bling & getting to help charity, but it helps keep me motivated to walk! At the time I wrote that post, I had finished my first virtual half marathon and had registered for five additional races, bringing my total to six races. Well, since then, my total has doubled. Oops! Yes, that’s right, I’m up to a total of 13 virtual races now.
One of the bonuses of signing up for the additional races is that I realized this will actually let me fulfill the 13 in 2013 challenge that a lot of bloggers are doing this year. The idea was put together by Jill Conyers, a fellow FitFluential Ambassador, as a sequel to her 12 in 2012 challenge last year.
At the time I first heard/read about it as my friends were signing up, I’ll be honest and admit that it didn’t appeal to me AT. ALL. The idea of knowing I would need to complete a race every month of the year and squeeze another one in somewhere to boot just didn’t sound appealing to me in any way. Imagine my surprise when I realized that not only am I now actually doing it, I’ll be accomplishing the feat in less than SIX MONTHS. Yeah, totally crazy! Of course, I won’t be an “official” finisher of the challenge because I didn’t sign up for it by the December 31, 2012 deadline. However, I’ll know I did it and that’s all that matters.
So, just to help keep me accountable, here’s my schedule of events for my own 13 in 2013 challenge:
- Dr. Who Progressive Half Marathon – completed July 19
- Walk MS 5k – completed August 16 (link not available)
- Bazinga Progressive Half Marathon – completed August 28
- Unleash Your Inner Wonder Woman 5k – completed September 1
- Dani’s 2nd Annual 30th Birthday 5k Run-Walk Ramble – (September 16)
- Midsummer Night’s Run 5k – (September 30)
- Spooktacular 5k – (October 12)
- Home Sweet Home 5k – (October 21)
- Ghostly Gallop Run the ‘Hood 5k – (October 27)
- Fallen Heroes 5k – (November 11)
- Down the Rabbit Hole 5k – (November 22)
- Donut Dash 5k – (December 7)
- 2013 Celebration of Life & Fitness 5k – (December 25)
Yes, I’m planning to do the final one on Christmas Day. I decided it was especially fitting since it’s the “Celebration of Life & Fitness” and would make an excellent gift to myself. I also picked that event for my final race because the medal seems particularly appropriate for completing this undertaking of completing 13 races in under six months. See what I mean?
What about you? What are you plans for staying active throughout the fall season and into the New Year? Leave me a comment below and share your ideas!
Until next time …