Losing List: Reasons to Lose Weight

Why I Want to Lose Weight The meeting topic at Weight Watchers this week wasn’t so much as how to lose weight as it was about the why of losing weight.  I really love when we have topics that really delve more into the psychological aspects of weight loss versus just the physiological ones.  This was definitely one of those topics.  It really gave me pause for a LOT of thinking this week.  I think this topic applies not only for reasons to lose weight, but about a lot of other things in our lives, too.  It really can apply to any task or project we undertake, but I’m only going to look at weight loss today.

It’s no secret to anyone who has been reading my blog for any length of time that this whole weight loss project can be a real struggle for me.  There are times I do really well for quite a while and can drop a nice chunk of weight only to let something complete derail me and I gain most, if not all, of it back again.

Losing weight is fucking hard.  Pardon my language, but it just is, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!  If it were easy, there wouldn’t be as much obesity as there is not only in the U.S., but is much of the world.  People would just realize they needed to lose a few (or lot) of pounds, change their eating habits, and be done.  Yeah, it doesn’t work like that.  I mean, sure, there are some people that can do that, but for the vast majority of us dealing with being overweight or obese, it just isn’t that simple.

Lately, my motivation has been going strong, which is a good thing.  Over the past six or seven weeks, I’ve lost nearly 12 pounds. Woo Hoo!!  Of course, we’ve also just entered what is basically the most challenging eating time of the year.  The period from Thanksgiving to New Year often derails the best laid healthy eating plans of many of person, myself included.  My goal is to not let holiday eating derail my weight loss efforts this year, and I think this week’s topic of creating a “Losing List” is just what I need to help keep me on track!

So, what exactly is this Losing List you may be asking.  Well, in a nutshell, it’s about going back and reconnecting with all of the reasons why you wanted to lose weight in the first place.  It’s thinking back to that time when you were in the honeymoon phase of wanting to lose weight when all of your reasons for doing so were clearly set in your mind.  You knew exactly why you wanted to lose weight, and that “want power” resulted in a lot of “willpower” for your journey.

For a lot of people, their reason for starting a weight loss journey revolves around an event like a big party, wedding, class reunion, etc.  For me, it was about my mother suffering a heart attack at 58 years old which resulted in a quadruple bypass, as well as both of my parents having Type 2 diabetes.  It was about my health. That was the initial push that got me through the door of Weight Watchers many years ago.

Given I’m now more than a decade older and looking 50 hard in the face, it’s a really good time to reconnect with those feelings.  With that in mind, here’s my Losing List of the reasons why I initially wanted to lose weight as well as some of the current reasons as well.

Initial Reasons:

• To grow old healthy without the fear of developing heart disease.
  • To keep my blood sugars normal so I don’t develop diabetes.
  • To no longer have to shop in plus size clothing stores.
  • To feel sexy again.
  • To not worry whether or not I will fit in a restaurant booth.
  • To stop letting my weight hold me back from doing the things I want to do.

Current Additions:

• To prove to myself that I can do it.
  • To move freely and be more active.
  • To no longer let food control me.
  • To feel better about myself, both inwardly and outwardly.
  • To reduce the pressure on my knees and ankles.
  • To feel more confident at work and stop wondering if people are judging me due to my weight.
  • To have the courage and confidence to start dating again.

What about you?  If you need to lose weight, what are your reasons for wanting to do so?  Have you lost touch with them?  Thinking about my own reasons has been very powerful this week.  If you are on your own weight loss journey, whether that be with Weight Watchers or some other plan or eating, I really encourage you to take some time to think about the whys again and reconnect with them.

Choose Your Hard As I mentioned earlier, losing weight is hard, but you know what?  So is being fat.  I guess I just have to choose my hard.

Until next time …

melissayuku

Tagged: , , , ,

1. Nanci @ This Crazy Life of Mine 30 November, 2013 at 1:05 pm Reply

Today’s topic really was a great one. I love the “why-to” before the “how-to”. I also shared my list on my post today. Keep up the great work. You’re so right. Losing weight is f’ing hard. And I know it will be a lifetime struggle. But I am willing to fight it because I feel so much better when I take care of myself. xoxo

2. Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? 30 November, 2013 at 4:24 pm Reply

I was really happy when I walked into my WW meeting this morning and saw the topic because I’ve been thinking a lot about reconnecting with my “why” lately, too. Some mornings, the only thing that gets me into my workout clothes and out for a walk is remembering that I don’t want to develop diabetic complications like heart disease or a stroke before I turn 50. Looking good and wearing pretty clothes are great but when it’s cold and I’m tired, they don’t make the cut, but not dying does. Making healthy choices consistently for the rest of my life is definitely hard. Dealing with my feelings instead of eating to numb them is really hard. Both of them are much easier than being hospitalized with a stroke or heart attack, though!

3. Patty 1 December, 2013 at 5:52 am Reply

Excellent list of reasons. We all need to do this from time to time. Thank you for the reminder.

4. It’s Time | Stellar Fashion & Fitness 1 December, 2013 at 12:12 pm Reply

[…] (you can follow me @BhamJen). I read articles about weight loss and obesity (this article and this blog post were particularly interesting). I read inspirational stories and tweets from people who, like me, […]

5. Dani 2 December, 2013 at 11:19 am Reply

Mel, I had meant to blog about this earlier in the week but I procrastinated, wanting to think about it more. Then I’ve had a three day migraine. I’m still going to blog about this! It was a very thought provoking meeting, I enjoyed the topic.

BTW WTG for loosing 12lbs!!!! Fight hard over the holidays!

6. cheryl 3 December, 2013 at 6:15 pm Reply

I have never had to watch my weight except for trying to put it on as I love to DO physical things. Run, ride bikes, swim, hike, lift weights….and I make goals for myself around these activities. Finishing a marathon in 3:40-completing 117 triathlons, training for Escape from Alcatraz this June, and keeping up with all the preschoolers I work with on the playground and in the classroom. I am 60. Mom is 87. Dad is 89. I followed their leads. Set some goals that don’t involve clothes, weight, looks. May work.

7. thehappymommyprojectarjorie 5 December, 2013 at 10:36 am Reply

It is hard, particularly for those of us who have had a life-long struggle with weight. The mental part of it is the toughest. I like the losing list!

We missed you at #WWchat last night, but I am sure you were stuck at work (or in traffic). Hope you are having a great week!

8. Missy5ft2 5 December, 2013 at 10:56 am Reply

I am with you…all of it. I have found I have to stay completely digitally connected with ww and other weight loss bloggers/ social media buddies to stay on track. It is easier for me to cheer on other people than myself. I’m re-motivated after about 2 weeks of blah. My reason for losing can be summed up in one sentence: I’m not living the life I want to live, and I’m going to change that. Progress not perfection.

• Carole Coons 26 December, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reply

I am a Lifetime Loser as of April, 1976. I kept my weight under control all these years with what I learned from meetings, WW magazines, etc. Weight Watcher’s was one of the easiest and best ways to lose weight without feeling like I was on a Diet and starving. I highly recommend it to anyone that is looking to lose and keep it off forever. I could not have done it without the positivity of the lecturer and the group that I chose to meet with. It was all so inspiring! This was my second time around with Weight Watchers. I then had my three kids and I was ready to get healthy again. Best move I ever made.