Mel's Slow Cooker Chili
3 SmartPoints per 1-cup serving on WW Freestyle
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound 96% lean ground beef raw
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz each) kidney, pinto, or black beans drain one can
- 1 tbsp chili powder or to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin or to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- ½ tsp kosher salt or to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions soften.
- Add the ground beef and all the spices. Cook until no longer pink, breaking the beef up with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the beef into a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes and beans. Stir well to combine.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
Substitute 99% lean ground turkey and this recipe is only 1 SmartPoint per serving on WW Freestyle. If you are a vegetarian, you can substitute a pound of Boca Crumbles in place of the meat which will make the recipe 2 SmartPoints per serving on WW Freestyle.