Weekly Weigh In: Birthday Edition

Weekly Weigh In

Hey everyone! I apologize that it’s been a couple of weeks since I’ve written anything, much less posted a weekly weigh in. Writing about my history of PTSD and addiction in my previous post kind of threw me into an emotional tailspin. It seems each time I think I’ve grown and made progress with emotional eating, it jumps up and smacks me squarely in the face again.

I spent several days eating completely out of control to the point that I opted to use a No Weigh In pass at my Weight Watchers meeting last week. Thankfully, I had the good sense to still go to my meeting. The meeting topic was all about emotional eating and was just what I needed to reset myself and get back on track. After getting in a week of healthy eating, I was able to minimize the damage on the scale by showing a gain of only 0.6 at my meeting on Sunday.

In other news, yesterday was my birthday. The big Five Oh.  Yes, that’s right, I’m now AARP-eiligible. lol   My friends showered me with gifts, phone calls, text messages, emails, etc. They sure made turning 50 a lot easier than I was thinking it might be. )

It started on Sunday at my Weight Watchers meeting when my pal Dee brought in these awesome cake pops (3 PointsPlus for two pops) that she made. She even made cute little custom tags for them with my monogram and a very subtle number 50. How cute & special is that?!

Cake Pops

My pals at my meeting also chipped in and got me a gift, but I forgot to take a photo of it. They got me a gorgeous leather wallet with RFID protection that I had on my Amazon wish list. It’s absolutely beautiful!!

I was also able to mark off one of my 50 for 50 list items. As planned, I bought some beautiful flowers for myself in honor of my birthday. I decided that just because I’m single, it doesn’t mean I shouldn’t have some beautiful flowers for my birthday. I picked them up on Sunday following my meeting so I would be able to wake up to pretty flowers on Monday for my actual birthday since I had the day off (President’s Day holiday).

Birthday Flowers

My day actually started out with some activity. I was inspired by something I saw Melissa (a.k.a. The ValentineRD) do a few days ago on her birthday. She ran 4.4 miles in honor of her 44th birthday, so I decided to walk 5.0 miles in honor of my 50th. It also more than covered the mileage I needed to complete my Medal Whore Pursuit Suck It Up 5k virtual race.

Medal Whore Pursuit

I got some pretty cool birthday love from the interwebz, too! I woke up this morning with birthday wishes from Google:

Google Birthday Doodle

Later in the day, I even got some love from the social media folks at Weight Watchers on my Instagram feed.

Weight Watchers Birthday Wishes

Pretty cool, huh?! So, as you can see, it was a pretty awesome birthday. Given I said this line (I’m 50!) about a dozen times over my birthday weekend, I’ll leave you with a little Sally O’Malley. )

Until next time …

melissayuku

Tagged: , , , , , ,

1. Thehungryma 18 February, 2014 at 5:11 am Reply

Happy Birthday Melissa!!! 50 is the new 30! And it fits cause I thought you were in your late 30s!!! You have so much to be thankful for and thank you for taking us all along for the ride! Enjoy this decade because it’s as good as it gets and that’s pretty terrific.

2. Tammy 18 February, 2014 at 5:51 am Reply

I’m glad you had a great birthday! Please don’t think that being single is a factor for not getting flowers – I’ve been married forever, and if I want flowers, I have to buy them myself!!!

• TheDailyMel 19 February, 2014 at 10:52 am Reply

Thanks, Tammy! Now that I think about, yeah, I was pretty much in that same boat when I was married, too. lol

3. andy 18 February, 2014 at 5:56 am Reply

Happy 50th!! I hope you continue to have an amazing week!
    andy recently posted..21 daysMy Profile

• TheDailyMel 19 February, 2014 at 10:53 am Reply

Thanks, Andy! It’s definitely been a good week. )

4. Stephanie @ Athlete at Heart 18 February, 2014 at 11:26 am Reply

Happy Birthday!! Holy Moly, girl, there is NO WAY I’d have ever guessed you were 50 when we met in person last year. You don’t look a day over my age! Which is 31, btw. Or… maybe I look 50. Huh =) haha.

Also, I know how you feel… sometimes when I write posts about depression (because I think its important to put it out there for others that might be going through it) it takes a lot out of me and usually leaves me right in a big bout of depression. We are both stronger than our issues though.

*HUGS*
    Stephanie @ Athlete at Heart recently posted..Weekly Wrap-Up; In the Right DirectionMy Profile

• TheDailyMel 19 February, 2014 at 10:54 am Reply

Stephanie – You definitely don’t look 50! lol I love that: “stronger than our issues.” Thanks!! *HUGS* to you, too! xoxo

5. Denise @ Do you have that in my size??? 19 February, 2014 at 5:19 am Reply

Your WW meeting crew sounds great – love that they celebrated your day with you. (I don’t think anyone at my meeting knows when my birthday is, or anyone else’s for that matter!) Staying for the meeting when I haven’t taken care of myself that week is usually the perfect antidote to whatever funk I’m in and the topic sounds like just what was needed for you, too.

• TheDailyMel 19 February, 2014 at 10:56 am Reply

They really ARE amazing, Denise! I feel so blessed to have found such a wonderful leader and amazing support system. In all my years of attending various WW meetings at different locations, this is BY FAR the best group I’ve ever been part of and I’m thankful for it every week! )

6. Denise Soza 26 February, 2014 at 8:21 pm Reply

Hey Melissa- it’s your friend from Sunday morning WW meetings. Late comment to your birthday blog but wanted to let you know you look fabulous!!!
    Love your blogs!
    Denise

7. Nadine 3 March, 2014 at 1:56 pm Reply

Great job!
    I see you’ve had a great birthday, and other than wishing you happy belated birthday, I want to congratulate you on all your small and big progresses.
    I’ve been reading your blog for a while and I find it really motivating to read about your stories, the way you cope with problems and the unique way in which you share all of that.
    I wish you all the best, have an awesome year and lots of success in life!