If you’ve taken part in Kenlie’s Friend Makin’ Monday (FMM) in the past, then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link to the comments on this post over at Kenlie’s blog so everyone can see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your own blog readers to add their links there too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers. So, take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
1. What are you plans for Thanksgiving this year? I’m not doing anything for Thanksgiving this year. Even so, I took Friday off as a vacation day which will give me a nice long five-day weekend that I’m really looking forward to! I’m planning to just hole up in my apartment the entire weekend (other than going to my Sunday Weight Watchers meeting), put up & decorate my Christmas tree, watch lots of holiday movies, and make my Christmas cards to send out the following week. Since I’m really busy with work and school, I’ll probably only be able to send out a handful, but I still can’t wait to haul out all of my card-making supplies and be creative.
2. At what point do you begin celebrating the Christmas season? Well, I suppose that depends upon how one defines “celebrating.” I started listening to holiday music on November 1, and I’ve already watched a few holiday movies on Netflix.
3. Do you celebrate Christmas, or do you celebrate another holiday? I’m not a religious person, but I celebrate Christmas. I just don’t celebrate it as the birth of Jesus. Christmas has actually always been a secular holiday to me. Even in the faith in which I was raised, they believed it was more important to celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus each Sunday through communion rather than celebrating his birth.
4. If you could have one present (you know, a material good, not love or world peace) what would you want? The LifeSpan TR800-DT Treadmill Desktop is my latest obsession. I totally want one to put in the corner of my apartment to use while watching TV, responding to emails, blogging, etc. How awesome would that be?!!
5. Share an idea or two that you can plan to do for someone who may need to feel loved throughout the holiday season. I love to volunteer over the holidays. For several years, I started my Thanksgiving off by volunteering at a local restaurant helping prepare a feast for those in need. The event grew so much that they basically stopped accepting individual volunteers any longer because they have so many corporate teams that volunteer now. One of the other things I do is by participating in the Angel Tree program through my employer. Since I don’t have a significant other or children, I’ll usually pull two or three names from the tree to buys gifts for each year.
6. Would you rather spend the holiday season on the beach or in the snow? Having lived in southern California for the past 17 years, I’m not really a fan of cold weather. That being said, I really do miss having a white Christmas. So, my preference would be to have a beautiful snowy white Christmas and then go right back to 60+ degree weather the next day for the rest of the winter.
7. What is your favorite Thanksgiving food? I don’t think I can narrow it down to just one, but I can narrow it down to two: cornbread dressing (that’s kind of like stuffing for those of you not from the South ) and pecan pie
8. Will you participate in Black Friday shopping? There isn’t enough money in the world to make me partake in the insanity that is Black Friday.
9. Will you travel for the holidays or stay at home? If you’re traveling, are you flying or driving or making alternate plans? I’ll be staying home for the holidays.
10. List at least 5 things for which you are currently thankful.
- My friends – I have been blessed beyond measure to have some of the most amazing friends for which one could ask!
- My health – After my little scare about 10 days ago, it’s made me all the more grateful for my health.
- My job – I’m very fortunate to have a job that I enjoy, wonderful people with whom I get to work, and upper management that appreciates all of the hard work we put in on a daily basis.
- My home – Even though I may “just” live in an apartment, I’m blessed to have a nice roof over my head when so many others in this world do not.
- Technology – I’m so thankful to live in an era where technology makes the giant world of ours small enough that we have the opportunity to interact and meet. If it weren’t for that technology, most of the other things I’ve listed for which I’m thankful never would’ve happened. I’ve meet so many of my amazing friends via online communities. I found my job through an online job search engine. I found my apartment on an apartment search website. Thanks to the amazing advances in the medical technology field, doctors are able to quickly diagnose and treat illnesses to help us stay healthier overall.
Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to head over to Kenlie’s blog and link up in the comments, and take a moment to share it on Facebook and Twitter too! Why not spread the friend makin’ love?! Happy Monday, friends!
Until next time …